At HLC, science is taught in a creative way right from Early Years all the way through to Year 6. We aim to provide the children with the subject knowledge that they will need to support them when they enter secondary school, whilst helping them to understand what it is to be a scientist. Much of the children’s learning is carried out through investigative work and linked, in a purposeful way, to the various topics that they study over a half term.
The children have a science at least once a week and over the course of an academic year will study the following areas:
• Plants, Animals, including humans, Everyday Materials and Seasonal Changes.
• All Living Things, Plants, Animals, including humans, Habitats, Everyday Materials and their Uses, Sound and Movement.
• Plants, Animals, including humans, Rocks, Light and Forces.
• All Living Things, Animals, including humans, Evolution and Inheritance, States of Matter, Sound and Electricity.
• All Living Things, Animals, including humans, Properties of Everyday Materials, Reversible and Irreversible Changes, Space and Magnetism.
• All Living Things, Evolution and Inheritance, Changes that Form New Materials, Light, Forces and Electricity.
The children at HLC primary are very lucky, they have a great resources right on their doorstep, the secondary science teachers! Whenever timetabling allows, we try to team teach science with the secondary staff. Currently, the Year 5’s are studying forces with Doctor Wilson. This link enables the children to access the specialist knowledge of the secondary staff as well as resources a secondary school has available. It results in some very interesting lessons!
Super Science Work
On Tuesday 23rd May HLC primary opened its doors to the parents/carers for the annual Science afternoon. The children were thoroughly looking forward to the event and the excitement grew as the day got closer. It certainly didn’t disappoint! With over 150 parents attending, the children were able to demonstrate their scientific skills through a …
During the first half term the children in year 1 have been learning all about journeys. We have looked at journeys using storybooks and we went on our own journey to Wellington on a double decker bus! We know the 4 countries in the UK and have found out the different places that we have …
Today, a group of Year 5 children took part in a science challenge. The event was held at Wrekin College and schools from across the country attended. The idea behind the event was to put the children’s science knowledge and skills to the test. Unsurprisingly, the children that we took did us proud. They were …